Alpinestars Bionic Neck Support
The Alpinestars Bionic Neck Support Brace contains the following engineered features:
Patented Pivot Key system: A special magnesium key located at the rear allows the convenient front opening of the device while also allowing it to be dismantled in an emergency.
Patented Fitting System: Fine adjustment of the shoulder height allows a more personalised fit particularly for individuals who have a shorter than normal neck.
Patented Rear Stabiliser Failure system: In the event of large loads being channelled onto the rear stabiliser (the part that sits on the back). there are a number of deliberate bending and fracture points designed to relieve extreme loads that may be transmitted down the back. These include:
- Deflection of foam tail
- Grooves to allow deflection of support structure tip
- Fracture area of support structure tip
- Fracture of supporting members (also fracture if subject to side loads that could cause a large rotation to the head).
- Collar Bone preservation 1: All parts in contact with the body use an expanded foam compound to distribute the impact force over the widest area yet remain light in weight.
- Collar Bone preservation 2: A continuous frame member runs over the shoulders this means there are no weak points in a critical part of the frame, and that there are no metal pins or screws sitting directly above the shoulders which could be dislodged into the shoulders or collarbone during an accident.
- Choice of Strap Systems: The BNS is supplied with the new XStrap System which allows a smaller, lighter strap (worn over or under the jersey) to secure the device to the rider. The larger A Strap assembly (available in future as a separate accessory) provides a traditional chest strap for those who like to wear the protector tight to the body
- Carbon Composite frame to achieve the best stiffness with the lowest weight
- Mounting points for accessories: Assist the integration of the BNS with your own Alpinestars accessories.
The BNS functions by providing an alternative load path when the neck is compressed. If the helmet is in contact with the neck support at the moment of impact the overall load passing through the neck can be reduced, which may prevent a fracture from occurring. There is also a reduced injury from muscular injuries associated with extremes of head movement. Customers should be aware that in a catastrophic impact the aim of the device is to sacrifice other bones in order to preserve the neck, however in less critical situations precautions have been taken to limit this (see Features below). When compared to soft neck roll devices the protection afforded is significantly better, because being soft these devices just squash down when the neck is compressed and are mainly of use in muscular injuries only. Modification: As with any riding equipment, riders should choose the equipment that is best fitting and suited to their body. No neck device should roll around over the shoulder.
The Bionic Neck Support (BNS) is a structure which works with the helmet to attempt to reduce the severity of a catastrophic neck injury. No product can guarantee protection from all motorcycle injuries, due to the varied dynamics of accidents, thus the BNS may not prevent injuries in all cases.